Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Hamdens Have a Peeping Tom...SERIOUSLY!

SHOCKER ALERT!!!!! As of this morning, we have a new member in the Hamden Clan: BEVO! Here's the scoop:

One day, Ray and I were watching TV, and out of the corner of my eye I spotted something scurrying by the living room window. I ran out into the front yard, suspecting it was a possum or something of the like, but no, it was just an old, orange tom cat. He looked hungry-ish, and via osmosis, he tapped into my sincere love for cats and manipulated me into giving him some food. I couldn't help m'self, sheesh!

Fast-forward a couple of days, and I'm out watering the plants on the front porch...and low-and behold, the old tom cat emerges from the bushes! I pet him and play with him for a bit, and once again, became entranced by his seeming hunger....and gave him some more cat food. I'm an IDIOT, though, because I left the plate out on the front porch, and just hours later got caught red handed by my husband...who loathes cats! I got the third-degree for feeding a stray cat, and thought it was off with my head, so I vowed never to feed him again. I protested when Ray wanted to get a dog, so there's no reason why I should get a new cat, right?

Fast-forward a couple more days...and I hear my name being called from the front of the house, "TIFFANYYYYY!!! You've been feeding that cat again, haven't you!?!??!!" I truly hadn't fed the cat since the previous incident, so I tell you...I was COMPLETELY innocent! But apparently Raymond opened the front door to find the old tom sitting on the porch, and he was just in time for dinner. We didn't feed him, and I let HIM shut the door in the cat's face, because I couldn't stand to leave him there hungry. We left the house shortly thereafter, and sure enough, the cat was still sitting there patiently awaiting a plate of some fishy, Friskies goodness. My heart sank.

Fast-forward to this morning...I'm in the kitchen making breakfast and from the bedroom I hear, "TIFFANYYYYYY!!!! You've been feeding that cat again, haven't you?!?!?!?!!" Fed-up with the accusations, I dash into the bedroom to shake a finger and go ballistic on Ray, and out of the corner of my eye I see the little orange cat peering into our bedroom window, patiently waiting for his share of breakfast! It was so cute! We have a peeping tom! I'm making eggs, so I can't stay and marvel too long, and as I'm walking away, Raymond says, "If you want to feed him, go ahead because I know you're going to anyway..." I really wouldn't, because I'm a good, disciplined, compliant wife -- and I know he doesn't want anymore cats around...but just as this thought crossed my mind, Raymond ambles into the kitchen and suggests we feed him. I'M SHOCKED. I give him a plate, and the dry cat food, and he takes it out to the peeping tom, comes back to the kitchen with another suggestion: THAT WE GIVE THE DAMN CAT A NAME!? [WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY HUSBAND?! ...although, if this is my new, and improved version of Raymond, I'll take him!] And as if this wasn't enough shock and excitement for me in one morning, he suggests we name the stankin' cat BEVO, which of course I couldn't be more stoked about! Now we have a nice new orange cat that lives in our front yard, and his name is BEVO! I never thought I'd be so lucky to have a cat named BEVO! ...not one that I could keep at least!

The best part of the whole deal...I think the cat may belong to this family down the street. Only this isn't just ANY family...they just so happen to be die-hard Aggie fans...so I hope we discover we're feeding the same cat, and that one day I get to tell them that we've aptly named him BEVO!

Today is off to a marvelous start, I must say!!!! HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!!

No comments: