Now I'm a renowned HATER of visiting the grocery store...but I find myself visiting it quite often as I never have enough stuff in the fridge or cabinets to cook a full meal. So today, by the time I made it to HEB, it was grossly overcast, windy, cold...and looked like it was about to storm any minute. I circled the parking lot for about 10 minutes for a good, close spot, so as to avoid braving the monsoon that was about to ensue (which would most likely happen in the seconds preceding my checkout, and I'd be drenched getting my loot to the car...). I go in the store, swipe the goods, check out, and make my way out the door, SURPRISINGLY, before it began to storm (for those of you who know, it didn't actually storm today, but rather looked imminent for the latter half of the day...).
As I'm walking out the door, and to the parking lot, I find myself walking directly toward this man who is struggling to walk...he has what looks like an artificial hip, and a prosthetic leg from the thigh down. He also has a prosthetic arm, starting at the elbow, and is wearing a Dallas Cowboys hat. [ed. note: I went to the store today wearing no makeup, and my hair was blowing around, meaning it was probable I looked somewhat like Roseanne Roseannadanna...and due to my aforesaid DISDAIN for grocery shopping, go ahead and assume that I had a scowl on my face as well. AND did I mention that I'm now every bit of NINE months pregnant.? I looked like a champ today, really....] Anyway, so this man is ambling toward me...and of course my wheels are turning, assuming this man is a veteran, as he has the name of his company on his T-shirt, has the Scarlet Letter hairdo of most military men (yes, the one my dad had when he was in the military, and still has a semblance of it today...). I'm not sure if I had smiled at him yet, as I was too concerned with wondering how he got his injuries, and probably staring him down when he began to remove his cap and approach me. From about 6 feet away, he began to say, "Ma'am, I just want you to know that you are beautiful, and I just thought I should tell you that." So I proceed to graciously thank him and walk on with a smile -- thinking to myself, "YES! I just got a random compliment, and I'm as big as a bus!!!," when he stopped and holding his hat continued, "You are a very beautiful woman, and I hope that there's someone out there as beautiful as you waiting for me." After graciously thanking him again, I turned and arrived at my car, and couldn't help but smile to myself....then I began to think, and kick myself a bit.... This man has obviously been to war and back, lost half of his dexterity with the loss of an arm and a leg along the way, and he has to make grocery trips just as I do. It was apparent to me that he has overcome his disability and decided to approach every day (and annoying grocery store visit) with a smile, as this is his opportunity to live, breathe and experience this life -- with, or without full physical ability. He could have walked past THIS ambling, angry, hairy, pregnant sot and thought to himself, "MAN, that is one ambling, angry, hairy pregnant sot..." -- but instead -- he reached out and sought to brighten MY day by giving me a compliment.
In the days where everyone is worrying about where their money's going, how they're going to make ends meet -- or who's going to get elected in a couple of weeks, etc....it is so comforting to know that there are truly people out there who still think the glass is half full, and seek to meet every moment with positivity and integrity. I may be looking too much into this -- but I left the parking lot not so much with a boost in ego, but rather, wearing my heart on my sleeve. This man was like an angel today for me, as he reminded me that as much as you may be worried about your current situation, or about the future -- or as much as you may hate your recurring visit to the grocery store -- you should always look at each day as an opportunity to improve the welfare of yourself and someone else/others.
As I embark upon parenthood, I hope to remember the feeling I had as I left that parking lot today, and the random act of kindness by the veteran...and pass that along to Ryder when he's old enough to understand...
That is all :)
1 comment:
Tiffany...I am a little upset that you did not put a shout out to me in this blog. I always look at the world through rose colored glasses. Ps....I saw Madonna last night, bitch!
Post a Comment