Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Got Milk to Go With That Parenthood Cookie?

Well, I'm going to seize the opportunity laid before me (while I have :20 of freedom), and update you all on the goings on in the Hamden household these past few days. Little man's snuggled up for a faux-nap (faux, because I know he's not asleep...he's merely playing a joke on us. He'll be awake before I can get this posted...guaranteed).

If parenthood were a cookie, it would have chocolate chips, ground toenails, extra cinnamon, and M&Ms in it. Chocolate chips, because everyone loves chocolate...and pretty much everyone loves babies. Ground toenails, because DAMNIT, sometimes you'd rather be eating toenails than wiping that kid's poopy ass for the 25th time in 2 hours. Extra cinnamon, because, well...I love cinnamon, and it might help cover up the ground up toenails taste...(especially if we're talking about Raymond's toenails...). And lastly, M&Ms, because parenthood...24/7....is a colorful experience...and DUH....M&Ms are colorful. How's THAT for a metaphor? Basically, all I'm trying to say is that parenthood manages to throw its curveballs on a daily basis...and though I've considered banging my head against the wall on numerous occasions...I can't think of anything else in this world I'd rather be doing at this juncture. That stankin' kid makes me laugh for no reason...makes me smile, just because I know he's mine...and makes the days worth facing, just because I know I get to share it with him.

Not to say we haven't had our share of interesting experiences these past few weeks, though. For instance, today I'm changing a #2 diaper....and this one really only necessitated one wipey. That was, until I got the damn thing off, and the kid started pooping mid-diaper-change. I actually got to witness poop coming out of his butt. It was sick. AND speaking of poop, I don't care how much one may enjoy talking openly about bodily functions. God knows I can share with the best of 'em....but y'all don't have ANYTHING on new parents. I find myself leaving a diaper change, and telling whomever is in my presence just what the poop looked like...the color, the consistency, the odor....the frequency. If they're parents, they smile, laugh, and concede that they've seen such a poop in their day. If they're not, they give me the obligatory smile and nod -- and think to themselves WHOOP-TEE-DO. Like anyone else gives a shit about Ryder's shit schedule? Get a grip, T!

AND, congratulations may be in line for the Hamden family! We've switched to a thicker formula, so the little'un hasn't been having the intense spitting-up fits as has been experienced in recent weeks. Not that this has resulted in better sleep for any of us...but it's a feat worth sharing, and DAMNIT, our efforts should be lauded! Feeding him has been quite the exhausting adventure for us, and I think we've finally got the problem under control!

And lastly, as far as I'm concerned, Ryder should be talking by the end of the month. I mean, it's no secret he's a child prodigy -- and I simply know this because he got his momma's brains....and his daddy's good looks ;) -- but he's begun cooing, and it's SO freakin' cute! We can just pick him up and walk around with him and he makes these sweet little baby noises. He even makes them when he's sleeping, and it's loud enough for people on the phone to hear. He really has been such a pleasure to be around these past few weeks, and I truly don't think I'm saying that just because I'm his mom. He has a great disposition (which I trust he got from his mom, too! hehe), and I hear he performs quite perfectly for babysitters...so should you decide you want to take him for the day...or better yet, for the NIGHT....he'll be an angel, we PROMISE!

Now I'm off to watch some old Office re-runs, and get another sleepless night! Until next time...enjoy these pics of my little Buddy-Bear!

No comments: